The documents and files on this website were created by me or someone else in the NIHS Biology department (Ms. Heather Graban, Mr. Scott Childers, or Ms. Jennifer Fenner). If I use material/worksheets from another person's website other than our department, it will NOT be posted here. You will have to see me personally for a copy. I do use pictures from the internet in my powerpoints. These images are for educational purposes only, not for personal profit.
1. First Day of School - August 27!
Our Biology Classroom Mission
We, the biology students of Mrs. Bowman's classes, are here to learn and have fun while doing so. Our goals are to make good grades and be proficient on the EOC test so that we can pass and ultimately graduate. We will achieve these goals by listening, studying, doing our work, and TRYING OUR BEST!
Strategic Learning Goal
All students will be proficient (i.e. score at least 81%) on the biology EOC test.
Essential Learning Requirements
(what students need to know)
Students must become proficient in:
1. Experimental design using the scientific method
2. Identifying the parts, functions, and processes of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells
3. The principals of genetics (classical, molecular, and technogical)
4. The characteristics related to the organisms in the 6 kingdoms of the classification system
5. Understanding human health as it relates to nutrition, disease, and the environment
6. Basic ecological principles and recognize the impact due to human activities
7. Basic concepts of evolution and how it relates to human, plant, and animal development.
I have an A.S. degree from Mitchell Community College (1997). I have a B.S. degree in biology and a B.A. degree in Chemistry from UNC Charlotte (2000). I obtained my teaching certification from UNC Charlotte (2005). I obtained the NC Environmental Education Certification in 2008. I obtained National Board Certification in 2010. I was named NIHS teacher of the year for 2011-2012.
I have been teaching at North Iredell for 10 years. During that time I have taught biology, AP biology, wildlife biology, botany, physical science, earth science.
I enjoy camping, canoeing, hiking, biking, travel, and photography.
I have one child, who is a SENIOR this year!